The much anticipated Unpublished Manuscript Contest returns in 2019.
- The beginning of your unpublished work, and a synopsis of the story, not to exceed 3,000 words total
- General Fiction
- YA (Young Adult)
- Youth Entry – Any genre but the author is less than 18 years old
- Contest opens March 1, 2019, and closes May 1, or when the 80 entry limit is reached.
- The top score in each genre will be considered finalists, and will be announced August 30, 2019. With the exception of the Youth category, which will have 3 finalists.
- The overall winner (top score), and youth winner will be announced at the Permian Basin Writers Workshop October 12, 2019
- Besides a simple score, you will receive detailed feedback from the judges on your work.
- See how your work measures up in your genre
- Finalists will receive a certificate, a badge for their website, and recognition at the Writer’s Workshop.
- Overall winner and Youth winner receive the above, as well as a $50 cash award
- A manuscript that has never been published in any format
- One entry per person
- Send a synopsis and the beginning of the work, not to exceed 3,000 words (including synopsis)
- Format: submit in 12pt. Times New Roman, double-spaced. Synopsis single-spaced
- Must choose 1st and 2nd choice of genre. A genre will require ten entries to be valid
- $25 per entry, $15 for Youth entry. No refunds for any reason
- The subject line of the submission should be, ‘Title/author name’ – the author’s name should not appear anywhere in the text submission.
2019 MANUSCRIPT ENTRY
Please complete each blank. One form must accompany your entry, or it will be disqualified.
If you use a pen name, we still need your legal name. Should you final/win, tell us which name you prefer to have publicized. NO name should appear on the submission Word document.
Each entry must be assigned 2 genres in which the author thinks it will fit. Each entry will be placed in the #1 genre as long as there are enough in that genre to keep it open (minimum 10). If not, it will be placed in the #2 genre.
Your payment and entry into the contest assumes agreement and compliance with the following:
- All rights to the story remain the property of the author
- By entering the Contest, the entrant agrees to abide by all Contest rules
- All entries must be original works by the entrant. Plagiarism of another’s writing will result in disqualification. Entries may not have been previously published in professional media
- This Contest is void where prohibited by law
- The decisions of the judges are entirely their own, and are final and binding
- Winners will be notified by email and announced at the Permian Basin Writers Workshop in October (https://permianbasinwritersworkshop.org/). We encourage finalists to attend.
- If the entrant is entering the ‘Youth Entry’ category, they attest that they are under the age of 18 when the entry is submitted
Once you have completed the form above and paid for your entry, email the beginning of your unpublished work and a synopsis of the story (not to exceed 3,000 words total) to:
We will confirm acceptance of your entry.